You must be aged 11-17 on the closing date of the 31st July 2013 (i.e. Under 18 years old) in order to enter. The competition closes at midnight on the 31st July 2013.
FYP is about what you want to write. So you can enter poems written in class, or poems you've written at home, from exercises or from your own imaginings. The competition is free to enter and poems can be of any length and on any theme. Individuals may enter more than one poem, however we strongly advise that you concentrate on drafting and redrafting your poems and send only a selection (we suggest no more than 6-8 absolute maximum) of your very best. Remember, quality is more important than quantity!
Please take a moment to read the full rules carefully:
- Each poem must be the original work of the author, and must not have been previously published (online on any website, blog or on social media i.e. Twitter or Facebook), broadcast on TV or radio or have won another competition.
- Entrants must be aged 11-17 on the closing date of the 31st July 2013.
- Poems must be in English and can be entered by anyone aged 11-17 from anywhere in the world (however please note that we are unable to cover the travel fees for any Winners invited to the Arvon Course).
- Competition entries cannot be returned under any circumstances so please make sure you make take note of all poems entered and send copies only.
- Please note that entries sent in by e-mail (as attachement or written in the body of email) will not be accepted under any circumstances. If you would like to enter online only entries through the formal online form at foyleyoungpoets.org/2013 will be accepted.
- Due to the large number of entrants we are unable to respond individually to submissions.
- No acknowledgment of receipt can be made for postal entries unless a stamped, self-addressed envelope is included with the entry. Please ensure the correct postage is used as late entries cannot be accepted.
- All online entries will receive an email notification of receipt if a correct email address is provided.
- The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into concerning this decision.
- All online entries must be received by midnight GMT on the 31st July 2013. Late entries will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- All postal entries must be post dated on or before the 31st July 2013.
- Winning poets will be notified directly between the 13th and 20th September 2013.
- Due to the sheer volume of entries, only successful entrants will be notified. Details of the full winners list will be announced publicly on the website on the 3rd October 2013.
- The copyright of each poem remains with the author. Authors of the winning poems will grant the Poetry Society permission to publish or broadcast the poems.
- All 100 winners will be invited to attend an awards ceremony on National Poetry Day, the 3rd October 2013, in London.